Generating Results Using Applied Thinking
MacGregor Jamee provides high calibre CFO, business mentoring and business consultancy services.
We work with CEO’s, managing directors, and trustees from all types of organisations – businesses, charities, not for profits, government agencies – across all industries.
In particular, we work with people who:
- Run a family business (and have a legacy to maintain)
- Are entrepreneurs looking for a business edge
- Are battling well-established, larger competitors
- Grew a business on the back of a personal skill
- Are ex-corporate executives, who know a good CFO can improve a business
We help them increase revenue, reduce costs, make critical decisions, and plan their future with greater clarity and confidence.
In short, our job is to help them transform their business and get better results. And, in turn, improve their own work and work-life balance situation
To help achieve this we use what we call Applied Thinking.
With Applied Thinking we take our range of commercial experience, global best practice and methodologies and apply them to your business.
This experience has enabled us to achieve results like this for SME/SMB owners:
- Identified the structural issues that were causing the company to be unprofitable and returned the company to profitability
- Determined the key metrics that drove revenue and put in place the right growth engine systems to support these resulting in record sales in 2020
- Improved cash flow by identifying process weaknesses which meant $200k of revenue was billed a month ahead of normal
We help businesses and business owners:
- Find new sales and revenue streams
- Navigate challenging economic or market conditions
- Manage growth
- Reduce financial risk
- Lower costs
- Find a more profitable business model
- Improve cash flow
- Raise capital or reduce debt
- Address operational challenges
- Manage revenue
- Increase operational efficiency and effectiveness
- And more…
On a personal basis, business leaders who work with us enjoy and benefit from:
- An experienced “sounding board” with whom to discuss ideas and strategy
- A business partner who can aid in presentations to or negotiations with your board, bankers, shareholders, and suppliers
- A confidante who can be privy to information you may not wish to share with other parties
- Deeper, insight driven analysis that allows you to plan with greater accuracy and clarity
- Development of your finance/accounting team’s capability
- Commercial insights and guidance on critical company decisions and issues
In fact, a high calibre CFO is one of the few professional peers a CEO or Managing Director has. Making them one of a handful of people qualified to provide senior leaders with new, deeper insights beyond what they already know. You could say they are the natural right-hand man or woman of the CEO or MD.
Unfortunately, many, perhaps most, New Zealand SME owners can’t afford to employ a senior CFO. At least not full-time.
And this is why MacGregor Jamee was started – and what drives us.
Meet MacGregor Jamee’s Founder
Fiona Harnett is the Founder and Director of MacGregor Jamee.
Fiona strongly believes SME owners should have access to highly skilled executives (who are often only available to large corporates).
And this is the reason why she started MacGregor Jamee:
To enable SME’s to access high calibre help on a more affordable, part-time, or fixed contract basis.
Her personal drive is to help New Zealand SME’s reach their potential in terms of financial performance, strategic planning, and operational effectiveness, through clients better understanding their financial situation so they can make more informed decisions.
20+ years’ financial, commercial, corporate and organisation experience.
Before founding MacGregor Jamee, Fiona spent 20+ years working in CFO and General Manager roles for large organisations such as Vodafone, HealthSource and healthAlliance. Her career also includes time at Deloitte, DB Breweries and Air New Zealand.
This background means she is highly experienced in these areas:
Revenue improvement, cost management, and commercial and financial strategies.
Advice about product pricing, financial reporting, budgeting, and forecasting.
Leadership of large and complex operational / transactional processing environments and customer care call centres, including turning around under-performing operations.
Plus, operational strategy and planning.
Risk Management and Governance
Board reporting and governance, regulatory and statutory compliance, risk management, policy setting and the establishment/management of control environments.
Organisational and People Leadership
Fiona has led teams varying in size from 5 – 400 employees.
She has extensive experience leading large cross-functional projects including integrating acquired businesses and delivering improved organisational performance.
She also has extensive experience in change management, organisation restructuring, performance management and developing high performing teams / people-based cultures.
Fiona is known for building strong stakeholder relationships, turning around underperforming functions, improving customer experience, and delivering on commitments.
Across her career she has successfully managed many large and complex IT implementations.
Volunteer and Charity Work
Fiona is a volunteer mentor with Business Mentors New Zealand. One of her mentees said:
“Fiona is amazing – I feel so lucky to have her supporting me! Although she probably doesn’t realise it, she has really helped me stay positive and on track! In addition to this, she has put me in touch with further assistance to help me with marketing my business online. As I said before, she is amazing!!”
Fiona has 30 years’ experience as a volunteer with GirlGuiding New Zealand, holding a variety of roles from local to global. Fiona is the Chair of the GirlGuiding New Zealand Board. During her tenure she has provided strong leadership to the board and the wider organisation, helping the organisation focus on growth, core services and the diversification of programme delivery options.
Between July 2011 and September 2017 Fiona was a Board Member of the World Association of Girl Guides and Girl Scouts. This is the largest voluntary movement dedicated to girls and young women in the world with ten million Girl Guide and Girl Scout members in 150 countries. The 17-member World Board are elected by the member organisations. Fiona helped the global organisation navigate the Global Financial Crisis, launch a new global brand proposition and improve the strategic focus of the board.
Fiona is an experienced Chief Financial Officer, a Chartered Accountant [Chartered Accountants Australia and New Zealand], a member of the New Zealand Institute of Directors, and a member of the Auckland Business Commerce.
Would you like to face the next 12 to 18 months with greater clarity and confidence?
If so, contact Fiona today.
When you speak to her you can either:
Arrange to have a free, no obligation business finance “health check”.
This is a business finance and operations strategy session. It pinpoints ways in which you can grow your business and areas where your finance and accounting functions can be strengthened. And as mentioned, it costs nothing and comes with no conditions attached.
Or you may wish to discuss a specific project, problem or result you already have in mind.
If it’s the latter, when you are ready to move forward, we offerflexible contracts and fees:
- Our business model focuses on low overheads
- You only pay for the hours you use
- There are no fixed term contracts – you are free to start and stop as required
- Our contracts include fixed priced quotes
- We offer special rates for charities and not for profit organisations.
- Price negotiations are available for long term assignments
We have 20+ years commercial, business finance, and operations experience.
So, if you are ready to access expert help, contact Fiona Harnett today on 09 5255735 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.